Friday, November 2, 2007

The Composition

I cannot overemphasise the importance of drawing. Not only does it readily familiarize you with whatever subject you are dealing with, but it also establishes what will and won’t work visually. Pencil also allows you to work out the tonal qualities that your colours will take on. It is also a good place to work out your alternatives and visual conjectures.


In this first drawing above, I took it upon myself to depart from the original “Venus” composition. I was really pleased with the angle and the figure holding the frame. The drawback here is that the nude is no longer the centre of attention. She has been demoted to a compositional element, helping to hold the picture together with the woman holding the frame as the new centre of interest. I needed something that would bring my Venus more to the fore and so I proceeded with another drawing.


This second picture works well enough. The “Venus” is more prominent and the frame a greater interest to the eye. The lady holding the frame is not as interesting visually as she is in the previous image but for all intents and purposes, she will do. The only problem now was that I had accomplished an even greater departure from the Velasquez painting and now had to ask myself some very serious questions. Did I want to paint this image? I was still not entirely convinced about the position of the nude. There is more loveliness and sensuality in Velasquez’s nude. Is the bird’s eye view appropriate? Perhaps I should frame the composition a little lower; something more in line with the original composition.


The final sketch achieves what the Velasquez image accomplishes compositionally. I did, however, tighten the image by bringing the girl holding the mirror closer towards the centre and by leaning the framed picture in and at a greater angle and hence I was able to achieve a balance of shapes. This composition also ensured that I was able to use a horizontal canvas with measurements that were consistent with the Rokeby Venus, though it’s a pity I had to lose the wings.

Of course, these drawings are by no means the last word on image making and many a change can happen between pencil and paint brush! I have yet to do studies for the specifics such as the hands, feet or head but I do have enough information to draw and flesh out most of what I intend to do on the canvas. The canvas I am using is fine linen (cotton can lose its shape over time so I tend to avoid it when I want to do a major work). My next update will include a short video clip of the beginning of the canvas.

1 comment:

Tom said...

That's an excellent consideration of the composition related to Velasquez's image. I have equally considered the relationship between the subjects and how this is represented spatially and it's good to find discussion about this- excellent work.