Saturday, November 17, 2007

On The Portrait

An interesting thing to note regarding the Rokeby Venus is that the image portrayed in the mirror is not faithful to the laws of optics. Given the position of the mirror, Venus should not have been able to see herself. In her place, one should see the observer or the painter standing behind her. It is also interesting to note that the face in the mirror is not reduced in size. Mind you, having a 1:1 ratio is possible if the mirror being used happens to be concave and not the standard flat face mirror. By including a mirror, one can only conjecture that Velazquez wanted to form a complete idea of the woman’s beauty and by taking liberties with the optics, he was able to do so.

For my part I wanted a faithful portrait of the woman as well, yet I did not wish to make the same concessions that Velasquez had. To this end I have decided to abandon the mirror concept altogether and in its place have the lady in attendance holding a painting of my Venus. Now, this presents two very interesting challenges.

Firstly, it is usually the artists endeavour to try and create the illusion of a three dimensional quality on a two dimensional surface and so we work with tone, light, values and colours in order to achieve our effects. It is an entirely different thing to paint a painting in a painting and have it look like a three dimensional form locked onto a two dimensional surface. In a sense I am trying to make the internal portrait less real than the reality of the Venus contemplating it.

The next and perhaps most daunting task is to make the image conform to a second perspective. Not only do I have to do a portrait, but a portrait (with its own set of perspectives) conforming to an environment involved in its own set of vanishing points.
Sounds like fun, doesn’t it?

On a personal note, I find this more challenging than just painting the reverse of my Venus’s face. So, with brush and paint to hand, once more into the breach!

My previous post included drawings what I thought might look nice as a portrait. Again, drawing is where all the problems and possibilities have their say. I always find it interesting when the time arrives to actually throw it on the canvas to see how it fares!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm following this project with great anticipation. I eagerly await the next installment.

Can't wait to see the finished project!

Anonymous said...

Waiting for a new update! Can't wait to see the end result.